Jessica Yaniv Simpson appeared in court today May 24, continuing into May 25, 2022 to address charges that Yaniv assaulted Rebel Media reporter Keean Bexte.
To catch up on what happened before the trial, scroll down past the live updates. Live updates will start below this paragraph.
As usual, MeowMix does have resources on the ground.
Live Update #1 – 11:20 AM pacific.
- Trying to determine legally if Keean Bexte can appear remotely.
- He says he has flu symptoms and cannot fly to BC for the hearing. Bexte does have a doctors note. Symptoms developed over the weekend. Court agrees that the scheduling made it impossible to provide more notice.
- Defense is opposed to Bexte appearing remotely
- Defense argues that Keean could look at notes or information outside the camera frame. Not specifically in this case, but generally speaking a court may be concerned with witness coercion, intimidating, etc. and having them appear in the courtroom alleviates some of that.
- Yaniv frequently checked his Canada Criminal Code book when crown cited case law/CCC references.
- Crown argues that case law supports Bexte appearing remotely.
When the hearing went to break, JY complained to the sheriffs that Billboard Chris was there, saying that he was afraid he’d interfere with JY going to his car. JY was told a Sherriff could escort him. JY said Billboard Chris had no reason to be there. Perhaps the fact that the court is open to the public escaped JY, or the criminal charges where JY threatened to murder Chris? Those could be reasons.
Also, JY’s mother Miriam has not appeared yet, and JY’s dog was not permitted. JY is wearing the same floral print dress and running shoes as he has in past hearings.
Also in attendance is Drea from Rebel News, who is providing live info on her Twitter.
Lastly, an application to change the charges to Jessica Simpson instead of Yaniv was made and accepted.
After the break, we expect a decision on whether or not Bexte can appear remotely to come. If he can, the trial should proceed. If not, the trial will likely be rescheduled.
Live Update #2 12:30 Pacific
After the first break, which was extended, the Judge ruled that Bexte can appear by MS Teams, after accepting Crowns arguments and stating that this case is getting quite old.
While not relevant to the case, it’s noteworthy that Yaniv is using a device where the Judge’s words are being broadcast to him directly (amplified) and presented to Yaniv digitally (due to his hearing impairment) via a translator. This translator is only there until 3 PM, so court will end at 3 PM today.
Also not relevant to the case, Jon did pick his nose several times in court. The rest of the MM team thought we should leave this out but our source said it happened a few times and I thought it was funny.
Crown then began with opening remarks and questioned Bexte first, asking him about his past with Rebel and why he was in attendance at the surrey court on this day. Bexte responded that he was there as a journalist with rebel and there were interesting stories related to Yaniv on this date (remember this was occurring as Yaniv left the courthouse from a weapons charge hearing).
Court then broke for lunch and is expected to return at 1:30 PM Pacific.
Update 3 – 3 PM Pacific
After break, Crown resumed asking questions to Bexte about his presence at the courthouse on Jan 13, 2020.
Two videos were shown – security camera footage from the Surrey Courthouse – showing Yaniv leave the building, followed by Bexte and three Sherriffs. When Yaniv was questioned by Bexte, he moved to hide behind the Sherriffs and went inside the building again.
The court was then shown the video captured by Bexte. Bexte described events where Yaniv grabbed his jacket and pushed him towards the ground and started to hit him, causing him to retreat to a safe distance.
Crown pointed out the difference between Keean Bexte and JY in size. Keean estimated Yaniv is over 100 lbs heavier than he is (at 175 lbs) and taller than he is.
Keean described his injuries as a bruise on the left side of his head that caused headaches for three days. He did not seek medical attention.
The court was then showed a 3rd video clip from the Surrey Courthouse security camera showing Yaniv charging towards Bexte and what appears to be him assaulting Bexte. The footage isn’t super clear and relies on a combination of reflections in courthouse windows and distant footage to piece together he scene. It is clear that Yaniv pursued and contacted Keean in some fashion.
Defense took a turn to question Bexte at this time. Defense brought up an old tweet from Bexte that ends by saying “it’s almost like there’s a special rule for people who claim to be trans.” Bexte said this was a general statement.
Defense presented another tweet from Keean, showing that he expects Yaniv will be indicted and sent to men’s prison (after his 3rd criminal charge).
Defense also asked Bexte why he didn’t use his phone – with a camera – to photograph his injuries, and tried to say that it was because Bexte had no injuries to photograph. Bexte said that was false.
Defense kept arguing that since Bexte has no eyes in the back of his head that he could not possibly know he was punched in the head. Bexte said that he’s been punched in the head before, and it felt shockingly identical to what JY did.
Defense went on to say that it was winter outside and that Yaniv was wearing heeled shoes, and tried to claim that Yaniv was falling, and landed on Bexte after slipping. To support this, they said that Bexte had previously commented on Yaniv’s “abnormal gait”.
With this, court was adjourned for the day. MeowMix does not have copies of the security footage shown in the courtroom so we cannot share those. Our sources say Yaniv was smug looking for much of it, with very poor posture, often leaning heavily on the desk. While watching video footage to the side of the courtroom, Yaniv was manspreading, with his full leg and thigh exposed to the whole courtroom because his dress fell down the side of his leg where it was slit.
Other notes: Yaniv was spotted wearing a ring on his right hand. We’ve heard rumours that this may have been given to him by Samantha, someone we’ve shared details from in the past but has since clammed up on us. According to a source who knows Samantha locally (remember she lives very close to Yaniv, and our source), she is still in regular contact with JY. We’re unclear what the ring means but it isn’t on his left hand so not an engagement. He was fidgeting with the ring in court today several times. We cannot confirm that it is 100% from Samantha but that’s what our source states. Logically, it makes sense. She was hesitant to give us much about him, and has since ghosted the entire team (including the guy she was asking for money from). Our theory is she’s still his bff, if not engaged in some relationship-for-money arrangement. Besides, who else would the ring be from? Hoping someone can get a picture of it soon.
Pictures from Today:
Here’s what you need to know before the trial:
- Jan 13, 2020 – while leaving court after facing charges for illegal weapons possession, Yaniv allegedly assaulted Keean Bexte. See above linked video.
- Jan 15, 2020 – Yaniv tweets allegations that Amy Hamm sexually assaulted him in the courthouse bathroom on Jan 13, leaving him traumatized and in need of rape relief shelter services. Hamm was at the courthouse fulfilling her duties as a writer for The Post Millennial. On June 8, 2020 -RCMP cleared her of all wrongdoing and she sued Yaniv in BC Supreme Court. That case is ongoing.
- Feb 4, 2020 – Keean Bexte and David Menzies of Rebel Media sue JY. Note that JY allegedly assaulted Menzies at an earlier incident where Menzies was trying to question Yaniv at his condo.
- March 9, 2020 – JY replies to Rebels lawsuit, saying Bexte instigated events.
- March 17., 2020 – JY countersues Rebel for what JY calls “hate crimes”.
- June 10, 2020 – Rebel responds to JY’s civil countersuit. Basically LOL.
- July 9, 2020 – announcement that JY will be charged with assault for the Jan 13 incident.
- August 31, 2020 – first appearance for charges.
- Sept 9, 2020 – hearing in civil suit between JY and Rebel, Judge orders parties proceed to settlement conference.
- Sept 25, 2020 – hearing in assault charge case. Yaniv demands a trial.
- October 21, 2020 – Coulthard is JY’s lawyer. A date is set for an arraignment hearing.
- Nov 6, 2020 – another hearing, Coulthard present. Delay requested.
- Nov 24, 2020 – hearing where Crown and Coulthard agree that a pretrial conference is not needed and a trial should be scheduled.
- Feb 8, 2021 – Yaniv’s lawyer Coulthard files an application to reschedule events.
- March 8, 2021 – hearing to set a date where a trial date will be set.
- March 30, 2021 – another hearing to reschedule a trial date.
- April 22, 2021 – a hearing to confirm a trial date, rescheduling requested.
- June 21, 2021 – scheduling hearing
- June 25, 2021 – originally scheduled trial date. Rescheduling hearing.
- August 4, 2021 – application to reschedule because Coulthard was out and Mo Vayeghan was tagged in as Yaniv’s defense lawyer.
- August 18, 2021 – second scheduled trial date. Rescheduling hearing.
- Jan 10, 2022 – application to reschedule.
- Feb 11, 2022 – third scheduled trial date.
- March 1, 2021 – application to reschedule. Lots of lawyer drama.
- March 4, 2022 – scheduling hearing.
- March 7, 2022 , scheduling hearing.
- March 18, 2022 – fourth scheduled trial date (rescheduled on March 7, 2022).
- May 24, 25 – fifth scheduled trial dates.